What is an Automatic backup?
Backup is a system that copies your data into an archive which can be used to restore the files to the original state. By automating a backup through a regular back up system, you don’t have to back up your data manually. The automated backups are performed through cronjob/scheduled tasks.
How does Softaculous Automated Backup Feature Help?
I am sure we have lost our essential data at some point of time in life Or had a moment of panic where you thought you did? Data is too valuable to lose. Backing up data regularly will help you to crush such types of feeling and it will keep you free from the insecurity of losing your data. But manually backing up all the changes and data is a lot of hard work. Don’t worry! Team Softaculous has got your back.
We have a feature “Automated Backups” which will Backup your installations on a regular basis (as per your preference). You can use the Automated Backup feature for new installations as well as existing installations.
Configuring Automated Backups in Softaculous
1. Backup Frequency: This option lets you choose when you want softaculous to backup your installation.
- Once a Day: Select this option if you want to backup your installation once in a day.
- Once a Week: Select this option if you want to backup your installation once in a week.
- Once a Month: Select this option if you want to backup your installation once in a month.
- Custom: You can define custom time for cronjob to run the backup command.
2. Backup Rotation: This option helps you to choose how many recent backups you want to preserve.
For better understanding let’s see the below example:
Suppose you choose to backup your installation once a day and you choose the backup rotation value as 3. Softaculous will perform the backup once every day and will preserve maximum three backups for a particular installation. So if you start the automated backup on 11th Aug, Softaculous will create a backup on 11th Aug, 12 Aug & 13th Aug. Now, When the backup is created on 14th Aug it will delete the backup created on 11th Aug as you have selected the backup rotation limit 3. Similarly, the backup created on 12th Aug will be deleted after the backup is created on 15th Aug. As soon as it creates the latest backup, it will delete the oldest back up as per your selected rotation preference(which is 3 in this case).
You can refer to the following link for configuring Automated Backups.
We hope this feature helps you recover your data in case of any unexpected disaster.