|Gives all of us something else to try as well to help get to the bottom of this I guess. I'll investigate later and report back.
Quote From : mjdj1999 October 14, 2010, 2:29 am
Okay... I did get Joomla to install and this is what I did. I went through the order process as a client and selected Joomla as my script, I left the "Directory" field blank. It did not install. I did it again and I put "none" in the "Directory" field and it installed. However, I also manually used the "Create" feature in WHMCS and I did not "Accept" the order through my fraud protection. So at this point I am not sure if the fraud protection has something to do with it or if it has something to do with the "Directory" field. Either way I see this as progress I just don't want my clients being forced to have to create a sub directory for their script.