Is there a list of your mirrors anywhere? That may well be the issue. If you move/change your mirrors, then people who only allow outbound connections to certain servers will need to update their firewalls.
I don't know of any firewalls that will take *.softaculous.com as a valid entry. The 3rd level at least has to be something specific so it can do resolution on it. I've opened it to www.softaculous.com since I don't know of any other name to use. It appears to work at least for getting most the updates, but some still fail.
I've been watching my firewall logs, and I don't see it blocking anything so the issue appears to be somewhere else. It upgraded to 4.0 successfully without issue, but the individual package updates still have random failures.
Sir generally *.softaculous.com should work and if it does not work please add these:
I don't know about anyone else's firewall, but resolving *.softaculous.com is impossible for most systems. How does it know what 3rd level names exist? That is unless you run an unsecure DNS server for your domain that allows a zone transfer to everyone so they can see all your host names. DNS doesn't work like the "glob" function in a terminal shell.
Regardless, I have added all those specific names listed including www to my firewall, and the failure still occurs randomly. The Concrete update failed today multiple times, while others succeeded. Again it is not just the cron job, this happens when using the web interface too for updates.
Wow since 2009 until 2012 today, this has continued to be the single issue with Softaculous that has never been fixed ever. Very frustrating! Please make it work once and for all! Why is it so hard?? And why do you need to have root access all the time in order to fix it? Can't you give us the troubleshooting steps? Surely it cannot be THAT complicated to make it work or even to troubleshoot? How about LOGGING at least to give us all some ideas why it failed?
Please understand that giving out root SHOULD NOT be the default method for people to let you troubleshoot issues.
I asked Softaculous tech to fix and even gave root access to an unused box. Somehow without doing anything (or so they claimed), it was "Fixed" - yes I verified it. But some 12 hours later, downloading updates stopped working again.
FRUSTRATED. Please give us more details on how to fix it WITHOUT asking for root access!
The issue is only on a few servers with custom configurations. There are several reasons for this issue :
1. Firewall not allowing to download the scripts
2. Openbase dir restriction
3. Safe Mode enabled
The issue on your server was due to the CRON command used by Softaculous. I have changed it on the server for which you provided root details and the instructions are emailed to you to fix this on other servers.
The reason why we need root access to the servers is because if we have root access we can debug and resolve the issue faster.
We are adding the logs in the next version so that users can find the reason for an issue in logs.
Sorry but it was not the firewall. I tried disabling the firewall completely and it still didn't work.
It is not openbasedir / safemode. The command was being executed with -d open_basedir=/ -d safe_mode=0 -d disable_functions="" as per your prescribed installation guide and it still wasn't working.
You failed to mention that you installed a different version of "comp" and that's what really fixed it. Not any of the reasons you listed above. In fact, on the box that you have access to, you actually removed those options, which is contrary to what you were saying.
In any case, whatever you did, it now works (and hopefully stays that way). Thank you for fixing it. I just wished that things were communicated better and more clearly. I had to try and figure out myself what had changed. We aren't trying to steal all your secrets - we just want a functioning, working piece of software that we paid for, without us having to actually dig around and debug it.
I hope this patch will be included in the future version so that we don't have to have these hassles again.
Sir you just need to reinstall Softaculous on your servers and then add the CRON to your Crontab. We have modified the installer to work correctly on Hsphere FreeBSD. This will also work fine in future versions of Softaculous.
The issue was due to open_basedir=/ due to this the Curl fails to redirect. We have changed it to open_basedir="" which works fine on FreeBSD servers.