Joomla has released the Joomla 3 branch in September 2012 with significant updates and major developments. Joomla 3 brings a whole new interface and lots of new features. The latest version of Joomla 3 branch is available for auto installation via Softaculous.
Here is the list of new features in Joomla! 3
1. Mobile Ready
Joomla! takes a big leap into the mobile space with a total overhaul of both its frontend design and administrator interface. With the adoption of the Bootstrap framework, Joomla! has become the first major CMS to be mobile ready in both the visitors and administrator areas. Now every website can have mobile friendly content for visitors and mobile friendly tools for administrators.
- Fully Responsive Site Template
- Fully Responsive Admin UI
- Fully Responsive Core Output
2. User Friendly
Joomla administration has a brand new look and feel, built with the power of Bootstrap responsive framework, along with a touch of the awesome UI/UX work of the Joomla JUX team. Joomla comes ready to go and fully responsive for mobile devices, tablets, and normal computer screens. The entire backend of Joomla has a brand new look and feel that will improve your workflow with any type of device.
- New User Friendly Interface
- Streamlined 30 Second Install
- Refined Admin User Experience
3. Developer Tools
- Build a Component with Zero CSS
- Style a Site with 1 CSS File
- Icomoon Font Icon
- jQuery & Mootools
4. Whole Lot More
Joomla 3.0 is a whole new exciting world. We took a little from the top, bottom, and side to create a whole brand new look and feel, along with many features under the hood features that bring Joomla to the forefront of the content management system world.
- Extensive work on code style standardisation and consistency
- Incorporation of Bootstrap into a jui media package.
- A new responsive administrator template Isis and interface.
- A new frontend template Protostar built using Bootstrap and updated accessible template called Beez3
- PostgreSQL Driver. You will be able to run Joomla 3.0 sites using the PostgreSQL database.
- PHP Memcached Driver
- Use of JFeed for feed management rather than SimplePie
- Installation of language packages directly from the extension manager
- Guest user group present by default
- Saving blank articles allowed
- New administrator statistics module
- Update TinyMCE to version 3.5.6
- Continued clean up of older unused code, files and database fields and tables and improved standardization of tables.
- Improvements to Smart Search
- Unit testing in the CMS
- Updated system tests in the CMS
Source : http://docs.joomla.org